To determine if you are a Rectangle Body shape, look at yourself in the mirror in your underwear. Stand with your legs together and your arms a bit away from your sides. Examine the area from under your arms, past your bust and ribcage, over your waist and hips to the fullest part of your thighs. Then compare yourself to the image and review the questions and characteristics below. We suggest you look at all the body shapes to find your closest match.
BODY SHAPE STYLE ADVICE
- Wear the same size on your top and bottom halves?
- Have a small bust?
- Have a little waist definition?
- Have flat hips and a flat bottom?
YOUR BUILD IS CHARACTERISED BY:
- Straight shoulder line and ribcage
- Straight hips and bottom
- Very little waist definition
- Average tummy
OTHER BODY SHAPE TENDENCIES
If you have gained or lost weight many times your body shape can change into another one. Read below to see what other body shape tendencies you might have
- You lean towards a pear shape if your hups are slightly broader than your shoulders.
- You lean towards inverted triangle if your shoulders are slightly broader than your hips
- You lean towards a column if you have a small bust and are petite in your shape and scale
GENERAL RULES FOR YOUR BODY SHAPE AND HOW TO CREATE VISUAL BALANCE:
You need to create the illusion of curves around hips and bust and of a waist
- You need to create the illusion of a waist
- Keep your silhouette uncluttered
- Unstructured jackets that gently shape the waist
- Hip and bottom details are good - as long they create gentle curves
YOU SHOULD AVOID:
- Details at the waist such as noticeable waistband high-waisted trousers; belted jackets and coats at the front
- Straight lines from top to toe e.g. straight jacket worn with straight trousers/with pin stripes/with a pencil skirt
- Boxy jackets or coats as well double breasted coats and jackets; boxy pleats
- Fussy, busy or droopy style in your clothing
- Rectangle shaped bags or clutch bags
- Square toe shoes
Back to style advice